With the end of the semester approaching and finals on the horizon, SHSU Online is pleased to offer a “schedule-friendly” slate of How-To opportunities via the self-paced online modality. You can find descriptions for each session at the end of this article.
Starting in May, you can enroll in one or more of the following self-paced online sessions:
- Blackboard Ally – Making Course Content Accessible
- Blackboard Collaborate Ultra – Synchronous Online Course Meetings
- Building Online Communities
- Multimedia in Blackboard Courses
Each of these faculty development opportunities takes place in Blackboard, is completely online, and can be completed at your own pace. Enroll today!
Blackboard Ally - Making Course Content Accessible
Learn how to make your course(s) more accessible! Explore how Blackboard Ally will take your original content upload and make a range of more accessible alternatives. Participants will learn about universal design for learning, how to interpret accessibility scores, and how to improve file accessibility. The course also covers reading and interpreting the accessibility report and the instructor workflow within Blackboard Ally.
Successful completion of this faculty development opportunity awards the Blackboard Ally certification.
Blackboard Collaborate Ultra
This fully-online, self-paced course is designed to familiarize Blackboard instructors with how to use Blackboard Collaborate's new Ultra Experience in their Blackboard courses. This session covers:
- Web conferencing as it applies to education
- The continuous release cycle as it applies to Collaborate
- Comparing and contrasting session roles in the Ultra experience
- Navigating and participating in a session using the Ultra experience
- Setting up a Collaborate session in the Ultra experiences
- Use Moderator tools to facilitate a Collaborate session in the Ultra experience
Successful completion of this faculty development opportunity awards the Blackboard Collaborate Ultra certification.
Building Online Communities
Communication and collaboration are key facets to this online certification course. In this course, we will further explore some of the communication and collaboration tools Blackboard Learn has to offer. You will have ample opportunity to communicate, gain feedback and share ideas with your colleagues’ using of the tools. This online course covers:
- Online communities and the Instructor’s Role
- Best Practice and Learning Theory Around Discussion Questions
- The Use of Journals & Blogs
- The Use of Wikis
- Groups in Blackboard Courses
- Grading in the collaborative space
Successful completion of this opportunity awards the Online Community Organizer certification.
Multimedia in Blackboard Courses (Video Quiz Update)
Kaltura has updated the Interactive Video Quiz tool. Enroll in this session to see what's new. This fully-online certification session provides the Blackboard instructor with the knowledge and skills in both the acquisition and implementation of multimedia for online/face-to-face and hybrid courses. Technologies and best practices are examined in the context of student engagement and success. Participants can choose to complete all module activities for this session and receive a Multimedia Certification or just complete any of the modules that interests them, a la carte.