Looking for a way to help your students succeed when taking an online course? Include a Technology Requirements section in your course syllabus. Letting your students know what they need to succeed in your course helps them to understand what is required and provides them with concrete examples of the kinds of tech that is important.
We’ve put together a statement that you can easily copy and paste into your course syllabi:
To be successful in online courses you will need regular access to a computer and a stable internet connection. While mobile devices are great for checking your grades or watching a video, SHSU Online does not recommend relying on them as your primary method for taking an online course.
Possessing a webcam and microphone is also important. Online courses typically have opportunities for students to use audio/video to submit assignments or participate in activities. These accessories will increase course interactivity and can connect you to your instructors as well as your fellow classmates.
- Age: Use a computer three years old or newer
- Speed: 8 GB of RAM
- Processor: Minimum of Intel i5/AMD Ryzen 5
- Operating System: Windows 10 or newer, Mac OSX 11 (macOS) or newer
- Hard Drive Space: 15 GB free hard drive space
- Audio: Speakers or headphones, and microphone
- Bandwidth: Upload/Download 1Mbps/5Mbps
- Video: Webcam
Feel free to edit this statement so that it works in your online/blended/web-enhanced courses.