When faculty members call SHSU Online’s Support Desk, they're not just reaching a real person... they're reaching a Bearkat, often one who has taken online courses similar to the ones you may be teaching. They may have even taken your courses!
Some of our student workers have taken time out of their busy schedules to talk about why they do what they do and how they work to serve the campus community. This month, meet Taylor Cotton, who sat down with SHSU Online staff to answer a few questions.
SHSU Online: What’s your favorite part about being a Bearkat?
- Taylor: “Since I’ve been here, I’ve always felt welcome. Not just with my friends, but with the campus community.”
SHSU Online: What are some things you’ve seen done in online courses that make for a better learning experience?
- Taylor: “The best online courses that I’ve taken have all been well organized with a straightforward syllabus. Professors engaging in frequent communication with their class helps too!”
SHSU Online: What’s your favorite part of the job?
- Taylor: “There’s a positive work environment, so much so that I can brag to my friends about working here. I’ve never dreaded coming into work.”
SHSU Online: What do you want to do after you graduate?
- Taylor: “I plan on being a police officer.”
SHSU Online: How does this job prepare you for the future?
- Taylor: “Being able to communicate with people and to be patient with them will be really important, especially in law enforcement.”
We appreciate Taylor's motivation and energy! In future issues, the SHSU Online Newsletter will provide glimpses of other students like Taylor who provide quality service to SHSU faculty members and the campus community.