The History Department at Sam Houston State University is one of the largest and fastest-growing on campus, due in part to its award-winning teachers and cutting-edge researchers. The BA degree in History offer students the chance to study the past, live the present, and prepare for the future.
The BA requires History coursework, a foreign language, and a minor. Teaching certification may also be attained with the BA degree. Students have a variety of areas and topics of study from which to choose, including US History, Latin American History, European History, World History, Military History, African American History, and more.
Those interested in a museum career have the option of developing an individualized, cooperative internship between the Department of History and the Sam Houston Memorial Museum, located close to campus.
About your degree
At SHSU, we understand that your degree needs to work for you. Your degree isn’t just a piece of paper— it signifies your accomplishment and expertise to the world.
- Accumulating Credit
- You earn a degree from SHSU by accumulating course credit hours
- All Credits Are Equal
- You earn course credit hours by completing in-person courses and/or online courses, or through transferred credits from another institution.
- Your Degree Will Not Say “online”
- Neither will your transcript. Even if you earn all of your course credit hours online. Whichever way you earn course credits, your degree will be the same.
- All SHSU Degree Programs Are Fully Accredited
- Sam Houston State University is accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. Some programs are also accredited by a governing professional body. Read more about accreditation.