Sociology offers so many ways to understand how society works, and it helps you to have a greater understanding of why certain things happen. A sociology degree provides you with the tools to critically analyze the world and your place within the larger context. You will also learn practical skills needed to succeed in today’s global world.
The Department of Sociology is committed to high quality instruction and research. Students in the undergraduate program will gain an understanding in techniques of sociological research, social statistics, sociological theory, and major substantive areas in the field. The primary objective of the department is to provide students with professional skills to analyze social issues in applied settings.
Instruction in general sociology is complemented by specialization in three substantive areas. Students can choose to concentrate their undergraduate curriculum in Social Change and Economy and Society; Culture and Social Institutions; or Inequality and Society.
Students are encouraged to participate in research projects and extra-curricular activities designed to foster critical sociological thinking and knowledge of today’s world. Sociology students have the opportunity to participate in SHSU’s Academic Community Engagement (ACE) initiative. ACE allows students to use the skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to make a difference in our community.
While the majority of this program can be completed online, attendance on campus may still be required for all students. Contact us for more information about this program.
About your degree
At SHSU, we understand that your degree needs to work for you. Your degree isn’t just a piece of paper— it signifies your accomplishment and expertise to the world.
- Accumulating Credit
- You earn a degree from SHSU by accumulating course credit hours
- All Credits Are Equal
- You earn course credit hours by completing in-person courses and/or online courses, or through transferred credits from another institution.
- Your Degree Will Not Say “online”
- Neither will your transcript. Even if you earn all of your course credit hours online. Whichever way you earn course credits, your degree will be the same.
- All SHSU Degree Programs Are Fully Accredited
- Sam Houston State University is accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. Some programs are also accredited by a governing professional body. Read more about accreditation.