SHSU Online offers numerous opportunities for faculty to develop their online pedagogical skills.
Take a look at the faculty development sessions offered by SHSU Online and sign up for the course you need by clicking the button at the bottom of this page. Choose from classroom-based face-to-face sessions, completely online certification courses, or how-to by appointment.
- Self-Paced - Blackboard Ally - Making Course Content Accessible
Learn how to make your course(s) more accessible! Explore how Blackboard Ally will take your original content upload and make a range of more accessible alternatives. Participants will learn about universal design for learning, how to interpret accessibility scores, and how to improve file accessibility. The course also covers reading and interpreting the accessibility report and the instructor workflow within Blackboard Ally.
Successful completion of this course awards the Blackboard Ally certification.
Online Course Redesign & Faculty Certification - Summer 2018 Cohorts
This summer, SHSU Online is introducing the Online Course Redesign & Faculty Certification program for online instructors. The program, predicated upon peer-reviewed research in online teaching competencies and course design best practices in course design, takes place over three days and involves collaboration and communication between the online instructor, the program facilitator, and the SHSU Online course development team.
Upon program completion, online instructors will receive:
- A better understanding of course design and online pedagogies
- A newly redesigned online course
- A certification from SHSU Online
- A recognition dinner and discussion of learning outcomes
- A $500 stipend for completing the summer pilot
The program takes place over three days (Monday-Wednesday) and lunch is provided. It utilizes:
- A guided course review and self-evaluation
- Presentations on course design best practices and online pedagogies
- Collaboration and communication with SHSU Online Instructional Designers
- A model course to begin the redesign process
- Faculty who have previously completed the Teaching Online with Blackboard Certification Series are encourage to participate
- A waiver option will be available for faculty whose online courses meet specific criteria
Program Cohort Dates
- 6/11 - 6/13 Cohort 1 – University Plaza 302 (8:30am - 3:00pm)
- 6/18 - 6/20 Cohort 2 – University Plaza 302 (8:30am - 3:00pm)
- 7/9 - 7/11 Cohort 3 – University Plaza 302 (8:30am - 3:00pm)
- 7/16 - 7/18 Cohort 4 – University Plaza 302 (8:30am - 3:00pm)
- 7/23 - 7/25 Cohort 5 – University Plaza 302 (8:30am - 3:00pm)
- 7/30 - 8/1 Cohort 6 – University Plaza 302 (8:30am - 3:00pm)
- 8/6 - 8/8 Cohort 7 – University Plaza 302 (8:30am - 3:00pm)
- Date TBD Cohort 8 – University Plaza 302 (8:30am - 3:00pm)
Cohort Reserved for Newly Hired Faculty - Fall 2018
SHSU Online eLearning Support Blog
Stay up-to-date with how to sessions and the latest tips and tricks for online faculty. Check out the SHSU Online eLearning Support Blog.