Psychology is defined as the science of behavior and mental processes. As a discipline, psychology covers a broad field of study ranging from brain mechanisms and behavior to clinical practice. The psychology program at Sam Houston State University (SHSU) offers courses covering all aspects of psychology and prepares the student for a better understanding of how and why behaviors occur.
Since a career in psychology typically requires a graduate degree, the Bachelor of Science in psychology at SHSU is designed to prepare you to progress toward that goal. In addition, the program is designed to provide you with a well-rounded liberal arts education. Our graduates have been highly successful in moving into management positions with large companies, working as police officers and as representatives for pharmaceutical firms, and working in the public sector in areas such as human services and public relations.
Students wishing to pursue a Bachelor of Science degree in psychology are required to take particular courses that are related to all areas of psychology and then to sample at least two courses each from various blocks of courses, i.e., Social Development, Clinical-Counseling, and Experimental. With this background, you will acquire knowledge of all of the various approaches psychologists use and can more easily decide on the correct career path you wish to pursue.
In preparation for graduate school, a minimum of a 3.0 grade point average is expected, as is successful completion of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). We strongly encourage all of our students to get involved in faculty members’ research programs. These opportunities will enhance your critical thinking and research skills while signifying that you are serious about psychology. Graduate schools consider this sort of training impressive, if not crucial.
While the majority of this program (75%) can be completed online, attendance on campus may still be required for all students. Contact us for more information about this program.
About your degree
At SHSU, we understand that your degree needs to work for you. Your degree isn’t just a piece of paper— it signifies your accomplishment and expertise to the world.
- Accumulating Credit
- You earn a degree from SHSU by accumulating course credit hours
- All Credits Are Equal
- You earn course credit hours by completing in-person courses and/or online courses, or through transferred credits from another institution.
- Your Degree Will Not Say “online”
- Neither will your transcript. Even if you earn all of your course credit hours online. Whichever way you earn course credits, your degree will be the same.
- All SHSU Degree Programs Are Fully Accredited
- Sam Houston State University is accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. Some programs are also accredited by a governing professional body. Read more about accreditation.