Online Degree Program Overview
- Ranked as one of the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Reports
- Tailored to fit specific interests and career goals
- For transfer and non-traditional students who have completed a 2-year degree
- Design a curriculum through your choice of three academic minors
Find more information in the degree overview.
Understanding the Online Bachelor of General Studies
You make your own choices in life; let those experiences drive your pursuit of a Bachelor of General Studies (BGS) degree.
The BGS degree allows you to forge your own path by designing a curriculum through your choice of three academic minors, one General Studies capstone course, and supporting coursework. Each minor must contain 18 hours unique only to that major, but the rest is up to you.
The online Bachelor of General Studies degree from SHSU Online offers the same benefits as the on-campus program, but with the convenience of online delivery. Education Everywhere, for Everyone.
- Business Administration Minor
- Business Education Minor (cannot be combined with General Business Minor)
- Criminal Justice Minor
- Health Minor
- History Minor
- Finance Minor
- Forensic Science Minor
- Geography Minor
- Political Science Minor
- Psychology Minor
- Sociology Minor
- Spanish Minor
About Your Degree
At SHSU Online, we understand that your degree needs to work for you. Your degree isn’t just a piece of paper — it signifies your accomplishment and expertise to the world.
- Accumulating Credit
- You earn a degree from SHSU by accumulating course credit hours.
- All Credits Are Equal
- You earn course credit hours by completing in-person courses and/or online courses, or through transferred credits from another institution.
- Your Degree Will Not Say “Online
” Neitherwill your transcript— even if you earn all of your course credit hours online. Your degree will be the same regardless of how you earn your credit hours.
- All SHSU Degree Programs Are Fully Accredited
- Sam Houston State University is accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. Some programs are also accredited by a governing professional body. Read more about our accreditation.
Undergraduate Application Deadlines
- Fall: August 1
- Spring: December 1
- Summer I: May 15
- Summer II: June 15